Monday, February 3, 2014

About Me

Being able to teach is a gift. Teachers have the opportunity to leave a lasting impact on children, whether good or bad. As a teacher, you have the responsibility to give your students every opportunity possible to gain new experiences and to excel in the areas they already know. Each subject has its' own challenges. Math is an especially tough subject to teach children because of the way their brains develop. Abstract thoughts are very hard to form for children until they reach late middle school or early high school. Teachers have a habit of punishing students for not getting the concepts they should because they have not developed that far yet. Great math teachers are needed to bridge this gap formed in middle school by the way math has been set up for years. The basics of algebra need to be taught in a concrete format, and then transferred into abstract thought in a later course.

As a teacher, I want to excite children about math. It was tough for me in middle school, and I don't want that to be the case for my students. I used to ask my teachers why, and they told me because they said so. This is not the answer that should be given to eager minds. If a student is wondering why they are learning a topic or theorem, then explain it to them (in an age and development appropriate way). Students should never be put down for misunderstanding or an eagerness to ask questions not defined in the curriculum. I will inspire students to want to learn.

As a person, I currently hold four different part-time jobs and go to school full-time. I make coffee weekend mornings at Starbucks. It is wonderful to meet so many different people and I love the social aspect of working at a coffee shop. I also teach CrossFit at CrossFit Station every Thursday evening to a group of 10-12 year old softball girls. It is great to work with children and inspire them to be active. On my free evenings I help friends host ThirtyOne parties. I am a consultant for ThirtyOne Gifts, and I absolutely love the organizing totes they have as well as the extra income. In my extra time, I substitute teach at Fresco Arts Academy. It is a private school, 6th-12th grade, in Eagle, ID. It is a great opportunity to already be working with children in the age group that I would like to teach. My degree is in Elementary Education, with an endorsement in Mathematics. I want teach pre-Algebra to children in middle school and hopefully inspire them to want to do math in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment